Thanks to Lizzie from A Dusty Frame we have our very first SHEteam interview featuring Donna with CellChic and Huebsch Designs
1. How long have you been crafting?
For as long as I can remember – seriously! I’ve knitted, crocheted, decoupaged, latch-hooked, done decorative painting, cross-stitched, decorated T-shirts and sweatshirts…well, you get the picture.
2. What is your favorite thing to make?
I like working with beaded projects right now, particularly cell phone charms.
3. How did you start working with beads?
One of my DD’s friends had her birthday party at a bead store 5 years ago. That was my introduction. DD and I made a number of trips after that. For a while, everything I made went in a straight line – all I could do was string beads on a wire and I had to ask the store owner to crimp it off. Then I took a couple of classes on beading basics and wire wrapping, which really opened up a lot of design ideas.
4. Do you really decorate your own cell phone? ;)
Of course!! I’m on a campaign to wipe out bare cell phones – there’s just no reason for a cell phone to look homely!
5. Where do you get inspiration?
Lots of places – fabric, nature, magazines
6. Do you do any other crafting?
I’m always looking for a good crafting opportunity! I sew clothes, and recently made a mosaic table to go in our garden. We got on a knitting kick a few months ago; making dog sweaters…DH’s was actually very good, while mine looked pretty odd!
7. What are you reading right now?
I’m reading Midnight, a collection of short story mysteries by John M. Floyd
8. How long have you homeschooled and what method do you use?
We started a little over 2 years ago, when DD reached 6th grade. We use a combination of approaches to best suit our needs:
1) Unschooling is unstructured and lets children learn naturally, following their curiosity and interests. Parents act as facilitators to help provide a rich learning environment. Formal teaching is pursued as the need arises.
2) Learning Lifestyle, where the lines are blurred between "school" and "home". Daily living provides many opportunities for practical learning, e.g., meal planning, tax preparation, political elections, etc.
9.What have you found most surprising about Etsy?
I am amazed at the friendly community among Etsyians. The SHE Team has been so warm and supportive!
10. What are you addicted to right now?
Hershey's Kisses with Almonds, making treasuries, playing computer games with DD (right now, Chocolatier I & II are my favorites - of course, they relate to chocolate!)
Check Donna’s items for a special interview sale. Look for “sale” in the item title.