Thursday, May 26, 2011

Don't forget to smell the roses!

Today I'm posting an older post from my blog that is an important reminder for all of us homeschooling parents to not get too tied up in book work and enjoy our daily lives as educators!



I woke early this morning and decided to make some playdough. My 4 year old has been "somewhat challenging" of late and I wanted to get her busy straight after breakfast. Sometimes, as a homeschooler, I forget to stop and smell the roses. I forget that I'm in charge and that learning occurs in all different ways.
Normally I expect the boy to start his bookwork by 9am for time efficiency. This morning he took an interest in the playdough, and although my brain nagged at me - "it's past 9am!!" I left him to it. 



This led to a few learning discussions. He made a model of a heart, which provided an opportunity for revision of the heart's functions. They made me countless "cupcakes" and "pancakes" and other delights.

They had to share in order to get along, this needs much reinforcement!
They learn to use kitchen tools which improves dexterity.
They learn to clean up after themselves when they're finished.



If you're a fellow homeschooler, or even if you're not, I hope you can find time to "go with the flow" today and remember that learning does not have to come from a book.





Posted by Kelly of The Handmaden


1 comment:

Very Verdant said...

Looks like you have some little astists in the making there!