Monday, June 6, 2011

Finding Inspiration in Alaska

Krystie, of Log Cabin Creations, shares her perspective on running a homebusiness and homeschooling in the beautiful state of Alaska.


Tell Us A Little Bit About Yourself.
I am a long time Alaskan (30 + years now) and love living in Eagle a remote town of 150 near the Canadian border. My husband and I have 4 children ages 10- 14 we have home schooled for 10 years. My husband is the pastor of Eagle Bible Chapel.



2. How did you begin working in your craft and how did it develop into a business?
I love creating and being home with our kids so Log Cabin Creations was born about 10years ago. I have been selling my hand crafted items at our local Eagle Mall for the last 8 years. I am thankful that my business has grown to equal almost half of our yearly income. I do a variety of crafts from jewelry making to knitting to creating knitting patterns to knotted trivets.



Organic Cotton Flower Facecloth Set


3. What is one of your favorite homeschool memories thus far?
We were able to take a 2 month road trip and visited 21 states as well as 3 Canadian provinces/territories, we had a great time and learned lots along the way.


4. What advise to would you give to other homeschool families who are also trying to run a home business?
I keep reminding myself that my focus is homeschooling and that my business comes second, my kids are going to leave home in a few short years and then I can dedicate more time to business.




5. Where do you find inspiration for your pieces?
I love the north so many of my pieces reflect the north or Alaska.



Handmade Earrings

6. Would you share with us some of your specific goals for your business or for your homeschool?
My goal for homeschooling is to create the love of learning within my children, if they are unable to list all the states and capitals that is okay...so long as they love to learn about new things and learn how to do new things or teach themselves with all the resources around us a new skill.



Hand Dyed Cowl

To view more of Krystie's work, please, visit -
www.etsy.com/shop/LogCabinCreation
www.EcoCessory.etsy.com
www.eaglemallalaska.com
www.facebook.com/LogCabinCreations

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely blog post and very encouraging! Thanks for sharing.

Kelly Casanova said...

Nice to meet you Krystie, all the best with your business - it sounds like you're doing very well.